Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Brewers in SI

Hearing that the Brewers were going to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated was pretty exciting news.  That said, I get really nervous about that whole jinx thing.

I don't normally believe in these things like the SI jinx or the Madden jinx.

Until 2009 when my college team made a rare appearance on SI.  I don't think I've touched it since then but I dug it out to bring back the proper emotion.


Cover date November 9, 2009.

9-0.  Coming off the craziest game I've ever seen where our QB throws 5 picks against Indiana and were about to go down by 3 TD's in the 3rd quarter when.....well just watch.




Hawkeyes rolled the 4th quarter and went from down 14 to covering a 17 point spread 42-24.  A #4 BCS ranking and 3 games from a perfect season and a possible national championship berth.  Then the SI cover.  Stores were stacked with boxes and boxes of them.  I ran out and got mine the day it came out.  Like I said, I don't give much credit to these jinx things but it's in the back of your mind at least.

Fast forward 3 days.

Iowa vs Northwestern to go 10-0.  I was there, ready to dump Northwestern and set up the clash with Ohio St. the next week with national title hopes on the line.  Then the 2nd quarter naked bootleg in their own end zone.



Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Damn you Corey Wootton

Damn you SI.

Redshirt freshman James Vandenberg wasn't ready for prime time and couldn't preserve the undefeated season.  Stanzi missed the last 2 regular season games and although Vandenberg performed admirably at Ohio St. the next game with the conference title and Rose Bowl on the line they came up short again.

Ok the season didn't end a total waste, a lackluster shutout of Minnesota (can't believe I paid a scalper for that horrible game) and then a BCS win in the Orange Bowl over Georgia Tech.  No it wasn't the Rose Bowl but it was a BCS win.

Ok enough college football talk.  I'm totally getting my SI tomorrow jinx or no jinx.

Knocks on wood repeatedly.


follow me on the twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment