Thursday, July 21, 2011

goodbye Gomez, hello Brett Carroll

Other than the day he was traded to the Brewers for JJ Hardy, I've never been a huge Carlos Gomez fan (and I've already admitted I was wrong about that). On the other hand I did think he was a valuable member of the Brewers and did not want to see him break his clavicle and likely be out for the year.

The explosion that was Nyjer Morgan in Milwaukee left Gomez standing in the shadows of T-Plush but he was still a big part of this team. The catch he made that likely ended his season saved a run and who knows maybe the game. His speed as a pinch runner helped win a game against the Reds a couple weeks ago.



As much as a liability he is at the plate, he will be missed in the Brewers' playoff push.

So his replacement??

Brett Carroll.

Brett Carroll??

A Florida Marlins 10th round draft pick in 2004 who's spent the last 4 years splitting time between AAA and the Majors.

15 HR's/ 51 RBI in Nashville this year. Call me unimpressed, looks like a guy that has success in the minors but hasn't been able to cut it after the call up.

Career line of .205/.284/.325

The only Major League positive I could find was Carroll apparently had an outstanding defensive year in 2009 with the Marlins.

Well that's something I guess.

I'm comfortable with Nyjer out in CF but a backup is probably necessary. Along with a left side infielder.

No comments:

Post a Comment